Lovely Zombies

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ryne
Party member

Lovely Zombies

Post by Ryne »

Hi guys, I thought with the progress that I was making I would start a project and demos thread for my game.

Here is a screenshot: (the zombie horde was added in Photoshop to show how I want the game to look)
In Game Mockup
Potential Characters

Idea

The general Idea is to have multiple floors of an office building, at the top of which would be the players love interest (classic save the girl story) in sort of a caged area so shes safe from zombies while you progress through the floors, but if you don't save her she cant leave. As you continue through each of the floors you will encounter zombies, a lot of them. I have Ideas for stronger enemies and stronger weapons as well.

We also play with the assumption that the player is a champion marksman and can land head-shots every time.

Weapons

My intention is to have several weapons for the player to use. They would get better as you make your way through the floors. Starting with a pistol on the first floor and gradually progressing towards machine guns. Grenades may or may not be a good idea depending on how difficult the hordes get, and If I would be able to program them. The weapons I have in mind now are:
  • - Starting Pistol (USP, Glock, or something of the like)
    - Pump Shotgun (Stronger than the auto)
    - Auto Shotgun (Faster than the pump)
    - AK-47/M4A1
    - Grenades (Possible)
    - Eventuality of "special" weapons
    - Cinematics (obviously going to be an issue since love doesn't handle video, so Ill create the animations frame by frame and add audio in love which wont be hard since pixel-art animation will be mostly tweening)
Enemies

The general idea is to keep this as close to classic zombies as possible. Zombies should be slow and stupid, not like the ones in the new resident evil games where they are just genetically mutated geniuses. That being said, I would still like to have zombies that pose a challenge, either faster, or with a higher health so that take more hits. I may just keep it to slow zombies, tank zombies, and keep the hordes expanding so that the challenge comes from the sheer amount of zombies.

Sound

I hope to have a catchy 8-Bit soundtrack composed by myself or by a friend of mine who is heavily into music production as well as 8-Bit sound effects for everything.

Progress

So far I have a lot of the basics completed (thanks to the forum guru's). I have a basic level, a single enemy, bounding boxes, and a few other things completed. Here is a short list of things that I have left to do:
  • - Gamestates for the main menu, and different floors (already know how to do this, just need to do it)
    - Weapon system (not started, but I have a general Idea of how it works)
    - Hordes (also have an idea of how it would work, but not started yet)
    - Sprites for a lot of things, I intend to have the floors fully-furnished
    - Music and Sound effects (have some finished already, but saving this for the end since it's not an issue)
    - Extensive "special-thanks" screen big enough to hold Robin's name and several others that have helped me thus far
    - Diagonal walking, jumping and running (all of which are easy though time consuming at this stage)
I think within a month I will have a lot finished, maybe not complete but a significant amount for sure, especially since I have a lot of time on my hands.

Thanks for the help everyone, I would also like to hear what you guys would like to see from this. So let me know! :)

The Love File

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7905642/lz_menu.love

Update 11/08/10 - I added a basic menu.
Last edited by Ryne on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
@rynesaur
SiENcE
Party member

Re: Lovely Zombies

Post by SiENcE »

Nice Art Design.
We did something called Flocking in our love game ZURUECKgefilmt.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

I have said it before, but I'll say it again. This looks so freaking good. I absolutely love the sepia tones and the conservative use of color!
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Thanks guys!, The art will hopefully get better as well. All of the art thus far was drawn rather quickly. :P
SiENcE wrote:
We did something called Flocking in our love game ZURUECKgefilmt.
I'll definitely take a look at this when I get to that point!, thanks.
Last edited by bartbes on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed the quote.
@rynesaur
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

That looks just great, can't wait to see it finished, keep up the good work!

(P.S. I fixed the quote in your previous post)
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

bartbes wrote:That looks just great, can't wait to see it finished, keep up the good work!

(P.S. I fixed the quote in your previous post)
Thanks!, and thanks for fixing the quote, I didn't notice it, I've been up for about 20 hours now so I was bound to slip. :)
@rynesaur
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

Up for 20 hours? :?
Hello, I am not dead.
Motig
Prole

Post by Motig »

Look great!

It feels kind of awkward not being able to move diagonally though?
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Motig wrote:Look great!
Thanks!
Motig wrote:It feels kind of awkward not being able to move diagonally though?
I was hoping to add diagonal sprites though It would be a lot of work since I would not only have to create 4 more sprites for each character but I would have to change a lot of the code I'm using now. I do however intend allow the player to move diagonally though it would look odd without the other 4 sprite directions, which is the reason I've left it alone. I may end up creating better sprites so I left it alone for now, along with running though they are on my to-do list to add.

:)
Last edited by Ryne on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@rynesaur
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Again, it looks great, I'm sure this will be an epic game when it's finished! :D
zac352 wrote:Up for 20 hours? :?
You wait until you get to college, young man. :P

EDIT
I was hoping to add diagonal sprites though It would be a lot of work since I would not only have to create 4 more sprites for each character but I would have to change a lot of the code I'm using now. I do however intend allow the player to move diagonally though it would look odd without the other 4 sprite directions, which is the reason I've left it alone. I may end up creating better sprites so it's on my to-do list to add diagonal-ability to the game.
Perhaps you could alternate the straight ones, for some sort of a zig-zagging effect?
Help us help you: attach a .love.