Legends of Rathnor [WIP]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.

What kind of spell system do you like in RPG's

Spells gained automaticly based on level and class - like dragon warrior
17%
Pick your spells from a list of pre-made spells - like D&D 3.5 edition
33%
Create your own spells as you go - you would have to learn/find words to combine to form your own spells
50%

Total votes: 24

jjmafiae
Party member

Re: Legend of Rathnor [WIP]

Post by jjmafiae »

the link did not work, but the textures on the screenshot looks very very good, way better than mine!
jasonisop
Citizen

Post by jasonisop »

jjmafiae wrote:the link did not work, but the textures on the screenshot looks very very good, way better than mine!
Could you tell me what link didnt work. Was it the github one?
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

jasonisop wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:the link did not work, but the textures on the screenshot looks very very good, way better than mine!
Could you tell me what link didnt work. Was it the github one?
link worked the file did not

error: scripts/npcscripts/Bat.lua:206 Could not open file images/bat.png Does not exist
jasonisop
Citizen

Post by jasonisop »

That file is there in the github, you might have got an incomplete download.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Looks nice!

No frame rate issues at all. I get ~500 FPS with Löve (64-bit Windows) and ~400 FPS with Löve+LuaJIT (32-bit Windows).
jasonisop
Citizen

Post by jasonisop »

Thanks, hopefully I will continue to have time to work on this. My biggest hurdle is re-doing camera code, im not sure why its working incorrectly. It should be letting the player free move when the camera is at the edge of the map, and then as the player moves and gets to the center it should start scrolling the map again. It should also be scrolling the same speed as the player but that is not working correctly as well.
10$man
Citizen

Post by 10$man »

jasonisop wrote:Thanks, hopefully I will continue to have time to work on this. My biggest hurdle is re-doing camera code, im not sure why its working incorrectly. It should be letting the player free move when the camera is at the edge of the map, and then as the player moves and gets to the center it should start scrolling the map again. It should also be scrolling the same speed as the player but that is not working correctly as well.
Yeah, I'm getting the 500FPS too :D
The camera is the only problem for me. I think it looks really cool though. Nice graphics, good transition tiles.
Cool looking monsters and the movement is good as well. Collisions work as expected.
Overall very good for a work in progress!
jasonisop
Citizen

Post by jasonisop »

Hopefully you didnt just download it, Ive been working on a redo of the camera and player class's and the last commit has it all messed up.
vitaminx
Citizen

Post by vitaminx »

jasonisop wrote:Hopefully you didnt just download it, Ive been working on a redo of the camera and player class's and the last commit has it all messed up.
Just a quick tip how-to to handle big changes in a public repository gracefully and how to *not* mess up your current repository:

From inside your "master" branch create a new "experimental" branch:

Code: Select all

$ git checkout -b experimental
It will be an exact copy of "master".

You can switch back and forth between the two branches and see in which branch your are with:

$ git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'

$ git branch
  experimental
* master
When you are in experimental you make all your changes and commit them as always, you can push then to github with:

$ git push origin experimental
Now you have two branches on github, with a hopefully well working master and an experimental branch where you test your stuff and break your repo whenever you want :P

When you tested and decided that the code in experimental is working well, you can commit all changes and merge it to master:

$ git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'

$ git merge experimental
$ git push origin master
Voila!
jasonisop
Citizen

Post by jasonisop »

Ok, camera code is working correctly now!!!. I am also using a proper camera class now, so i should be able to add effects later on such as screen shake, and some lighting effects( example would be at night with a torch).